G0ORX

John Melton G0ORX/N6LYT

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Multiple Raspberry Pi and ghpsdr3 working

I now have two Raspberry Pi systems and I have installed Raspbian "wheezy" image which supports hardware floating point.

Both are running without any keyboard/mouse or display connected and I am running an ssh session to both from my development machine.

I have One Raspberry Pi running the server code and a second running the dspserver code.  Both were built (along with DttSP) using the hardware floating point.

The one running the server code is using about 35% of the cpu and the one running the dspserver is running about 78% (rising to 95% if the sub receiver is enabled) with a client connected.

Both QtRadio, jMonitor and the Android client were run with no obvious audio or spectrum display problems.







To build the server and the dspserver on the Raspberry Pi systems I installed the following packages:

    sudo apt-get install subversion libfftw3-dev libusb-1.0.0-dev

I then used subversion to download the source code from the svn store.

I also changed the Makefiles CFLAGS to generate code to use the hardware floating point:

    -march=armv6 -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=hard

There was no problem compiling either the server, dspserver or DttSP.

You can see the setup below.  Just Mercury and Metis on the Atlas Bus for this test, the two Raspberry Pi devices (in small black cases) and an Ethernet hub to connect all the devices together to my LAN.



4 Comments:

At 2 August 2012 17:35 , Blogger Tony Abbey said...

Hi John
I've downloaded svn to my RPi and followed the link on ghpsdr3 to get the source code which ended with the message "Checked out revision 2417", so I guess that worked OK. Now as a bit of a newbie to linux repositories etc, what do I do to edit the makefiles as you suggest, and compile/run the code? I see Sid et al are also chasing you.
Tony G3OVH

 
At 2 August 2012 19:39 , Blogger John said...

Hi Tony,

I have added Makefile.rpi to the DttSP, server and dspserver directories on the svn. If you run 'svn update' in the ghpsdr3/src directory it should add in the 3 Makefiles. Then you can run 'make -f Makefile.rpi' in each of the directories (DttSP before dspserver) and it should build the binaries for you.

-- John

 
At 3 August 2012 20:30 , Blogger Tony Abbey said...

Hi John

Thanks for the advice. I'm afraid I cant try out your code any more because I seem to have bricked my Pi. I have been posting on the RaspberryPi.org website about "Kernel Panic" but havn't found a solution yet.

Tony

 
At 3 August 2012 23:51 , Blogger Tony Abbey said...

Hi John

Managed to unbrick my RPi by reflashing the SD card - must have got some spurious writes to it. Followed your instructions again and was able to compile the code OK, although with a lot of warnings in dspserver - thank you. i was hoping to listen with dspserver to the server ip addresses that I can receive on my Android machine rather than set up my own, but I am getting a connection timeput error and no graphical display. Perhaps I need a bit more guidance on how to use the binaries.

Tony

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home